Inside-Outside Living: What Is It and How to Achieve It
Benefits of Inside-Outside Living
There are many benefits of embracing inside-outside living, such as:
- Increasing the natural light in the home, which can improve mood, health and energy levels.
- Expanding the living space and creating more options for entertaining, relaxing and enjoying the views.
- Enhancing the aesthetic appeal and value of the home by adding visual interest and harmony.
- Reducing the environmental impact and energy costs by using less artificial lighting, heating and cooling.
How to Achieve Inside-Outside Living
There are different ways to achieve inside-outside living, depending on the size, layout and location of the home. Some of the common methods are:
- Installing large sliding or folding doors that can open up the indoor space to the outdoor area, creates a seamless transition and a sense of openness.
- In creating a covered patio or deck that can be used as an extension of the living room or dining room, with comfortable furniture, lighting and accessories that match the interior style.
- Adding an outdoor kitchen or barbeque area that can be used for cooking and dining al fresco, with a sink, fridge, stove and storage that make it convenient and practical.
- Building a pergola or gazebo that can provide shade, privacy and shelter from the elements, while adding charm and character to the garden.
- Incorporating plants, flowers and trees into both the indoor and outdoor spaces, creating a natural link and a fresh atmosphere.
- Using similar materials, colours and textures for indoor and outdoor floors, walls and furniture creates a cohesive and harmonious look.
Examples of Inside-Outside Living
Inside-outside living can be achieved in different styles and scales, depending on the personal preference and budget of the homeowner. Here are some examples of inside-outside living from different sources:
- A modern home with a large sliding glass door that opens up to a patio area with a fire pit, lounge chairs and dining.
- A modern home with a patio that features a fireplace, a sofa, and an entertaining area 2.
- A family home with patio doors that connects the living room to the outside patio with a barbeque area, outdoor kitchen
Inside-outside living is a trend that can transform any home into a more inviting, spacious and beautiful space. By following some simple tips and ideas, anyone can achieve inside-outside living and enjoy the benefits of being closer to nature.